Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Reaching Milestones

I didn't have much to say in Mallory's 5 month post just before this...but really there is so much to say, it deserves it's own post. Mallory is growing like a weed! And doing and learning new things every second it seems like.

At Mallie's last doctor appointment, Dr. Ketterman mentioned Mallie looked ready for solid food. So we figured her 5 month birthday was as good a time as any to try some rice cereal. I'm pretty sure I mixed it with too much breast milk and made it too soupy this time around. She seemed to like it at first...

And then everything kind of went downhill from there...




I think she realized that this stuff that tasted like breast milk was not coming from the correct source.

Mallory has been really drooly lately...not as drooly as I remember Aiden being, but still...I'm tempted to have her wear a bib every where she goes so that her shirts stay dry. I figured she was getting ready to start teething and thought we'd probably see teeth in the 7-9 month age range. Well, on Friday, April 5th, Mallie was going through her usual 10am fussy phase before she naps and as she was crying I noticed a couple white spots on her lower gums. I could see teeth! Both of her bottom two front teeth! I've heard baby teeth can move up and down for a while before they actually cut through, so again I thought maybe in a couple weeks we'd actually feel them. Wrong again! On Sunday, April 7th...sometime in the early afternoon, Mallie was trying to eat my finger and lo and behold...I felt a tooth. She had cut her first tooth, the bottom left front tooth. It's a sharp little bugger too! I wish I had a picture to show, but haven't been able to get a good scream out of her where I was patient enough to hold my camera to take a pic.

So we have solid food and teeth...what other milestone did we reach?

Because Mallie had cut her first tooth, nursing that evening was quite interesting. Let's just say that Mallie wanted to find out exactly how well her new tooth worked. I was over that game with her in about half a second. So instead of nursing, she got a bottle for this feeding. I had read that babies will try to hold their own bottle around this age, and Mallie seemed to have her hands up pretty well. So I let go...


She only drank about an ounce this way...she seemed to be more interested in getting her hands in her mouth I think at this point. She had a good little grip on her bottle though!

To top things all off, Mallie is almost sitting up by herself too. She tips from side to side every once in a while, so I've been hesitant to just let her go, but she's got the front and back part down. Probably in the next week or so I'll have another picture up with her sitting and smiling!



No comments:

Post a Comment